What are Multiple-Choice (Multi-Select) questions?
This question type is formatted in the same way as the Multi-Choice (Single Select) with one major difference: respondents can select more than one answer. The amount of answers that can be chosen, and the amount that are correct (in quizzes), is completely customizable by you.
You can add as many answer options as you want:
You can also allow respondents to write a custom answer, with the "other" answer option:
Why use Multi-Choice (Multi-Select) questions?
Like the Multi-Choice (Single Select), these are among the most used questions types in surveys and quizzes.
In Surveys: Multi-Choice (Multi-Select) questions provide a way for respondents to select from a list of answers.
In Quizzes: These question types allow participants to choose multiple answers to a question that may have more than one correct response.
You can also set polls to multi-select by ticking the ‘Allow multiple selections’ box in the Poll Builder. Below this, you will be able to customise how many can be selected by inputting a number of your choice into the ‘Maximum number of items that can be selected?’ box.
How do I create a Multi-Choice (Multi-Select) question?
- Go to the Builder
- Click ‘Add Page Items’ in the sidebar OR Scroll to the bottom of your project and click the ‘Add Items’ button
- Drag and Drop the Multi-Choice (Multi-Select) to the necessary place OR Click Multi-Choice (Multi-Select) and then ADD TO PAGE
- Enter your question
- Enter your answers in the ‘Option Text’ boxes
- Click ‘Add Answer’ to insert additional answer boxes
- Click ‘Other Text’ to insert an “Other” answer option
- Navigate the Question Quick Menu for additional settings and customization
The default design of this question type will place two answer boxes below the question field. These answer options will be in columns of three.
The number of answers which can be selected by participants will be set to ‘Maximum’.
- Although setting the number of answers a respondent to the maximum is acceptable for surveys, it is not recommended for quizzes.
Question Quick Menu
The Question Quick Menu for Multi-Choice (Multi-Select) questions will reveal the following options:
- Undo: Reverse your previous action or measure.
- Redo: Once ‘Undo’ is clicked, the option transforms into the ‘Redo’ button. This will restore your previous action or measure.
- Delete: Permanently removes the question from the project.
- Shrink/ Expand: This will change the size of your selected item. It will be referred to as ‘Resize’ in the results section of any project.
- Move to Page: Select another page to move the question to.
- Copy: Duplicate your question inside of the project.
- Required: By checking this box, respondents cannot finish the survey without completing the question.
- Settings: Opens additional, question specific, features and settings.
Question Settings Menu
There is access to more question type customisation settings through the ‘Settings’ button in the Question Quick Menu.
- Number this question: This button toggles the numbering for the concerned question.
- Randomize answer order: Jumbles the order of your answer options for project participants.
Display Answers in *Columns: This allows you to choose whether to organize your answer options in one, two, three, or four columns. The fewer columns, the longer your list will appear. Max Answers: Choose the number of correct answers available. Marking Scheme: Allocate points dependent on matching all the correct answers for a question, or per correct answer selected. The number of points is also customizable. (This option is only available in the Quiz project creator.)
Click on an answer box to access the settings for that option. From there you can delete the answer option by clicking the ‘X’ or enter a smaller Question Quick Menu.
Then something slightly different will happen depending on whether your project is a survey or a quiz.
Quiz Answer Settings: The quiz answer settings for Multi-Choice (Multi-Select) provides you with a toggle for setting answers as correct or incorrect. Make sure the number of correct answers matches the number of answers a respondent is able to select. You can also pipe text, or attach an image to an answer.
How respondents interact with Multi-Choice (Multi-Select) questions
Respondents can select the answer(s) they wish to choose by left-clicking them. This answer is highlighted to remind you which has been chosen.
To de-select an answer, simply left-click the option again.
If a participant attempts to select more answers than the permitted number of selections set by you, they will be informed by the Survey/Quiz before they can continue.
How to analyse the Quick Report?
By default, your results will appear as a Column Graph, with each answer being assigned a colour within the chart. It is possible to change the chart formatting through the Question Quick Menu for this section. The other available options for this question type are Line Graph, Doughnut Chart, Radar Chart, Pie Chart.
Any responses gathered through the ‘Other’ answer option will be recorded in the ‘Other’ section of the Data Table. If text was attached to any of those answers, each response will be recorded in the ‘Text Responses’ section under the graphs.
For more detailed instructions on analysing your report, you can visit either of these articles: