Text Box (Multiple)
What are Text Box (Multiple) questions?
These question types allow you to collate more than one answer to a singular question. You’ll be able to customize a title for each answer box, so respondents know what to write in them.
Why use Text Box (Multiple) questions?
These are useful for splitting a question or topic into specific talking points for respondents, or equally for gathering certain types of personal information.
How do I create a Text Box (Multiple) question?
- Open the Form tab
- Click 'New question'
- Select Text Box (Multiple)
- Enter your question
Adding Another Text Field
- Click the Text Box Question
- Click 'Add another text box'
Another text field will be added to the question.
Two answer fields will be present once this question type is inserted into your project. You can input additional answer boxes by clicking ‘Add another text box’ which can be found beneath the existing answer boxes.
To remove any boxes, access the settings menu for that box by clicking it and then the ‘X’ in the dropdown settings menu.
- Frame your questions so they can be answered in a sentence or less.
- Most useful for obtaining small amounts of information.
Question Settings Bar
Inside the Question Quick Menu for Text Box (Multiple) you will find several options:
- Personal info: When enabled, the data from any question marked as PII in the ‘question settings’ will be stored as a separate response. Allowing you to identify who has completed your survey, and at what time, without viewing the other answers they’ve given.
- Numbered: This button toggles the numbering for the concerned question.
As this question has multiple answer boxes, you can apply settings to each individual text box available. To do this:
- Click the answer field
- Click the Cog icon on the right of the question box
Here are the individual answer settings for the text fields:
- Required: This option will appear as a box, which can be enabled or disabled. When enabled, it will force respondents to complete the question before they can finish the survey or quiz. When disabled, participants will be able to skip any question. By default, this setting will be inactive.
- Text rows: Customize the size of the textbox, and therefore the amount of text a respondent can input.
- Input Limitation: Control what type of information participants can input. Toggle between ‘None’ (no Input Limitation), ‘Numeric’ (only numbers can be input), ‘Email’ (only email addresses can be input), and ‘Web Address’ (only URLs can be input).
- Link to contact field: Choose a custom field to link all responses for this question to.How respondents interact with Text Boxes (Multiple)?
All respondents can input a small amount of text into the supplied text boxes. Once finished, they can click another box to input more text, or press 'enter' to move down a box.
How to analyze the Quick Report?
You will find all answers for the Text Box (Multiple) under ‘Text Responses’ of the relevant question. All answers from one respondent will be in a self-contained box, as not to be confused with data from different respondents. The answers will be displayed in the order you set the corresponding questions.
For more detailed instructions on analyzing your report, you can visit either of these articles: