Text Box (Single)
What are Text Box (Single) questions?
Provide your participants with space for a short, open-ended response. You can even tailor your text box to accept certain types of textual input, e.g. text/ numbers/ email addresses/ web addresses, although we do have specific fields for this data under our Contact Details fields.
Why use a Text Box (Single)?
These boxes are particularly useful for collecting respondent information or details and are therefore often employed in contact forms. Although, they’re equally useful in collating short precise responses.
How do I create a Text Box (Single) question?
- Go to the Builder
- Click ‘Add Page Items’ in the sidebar OR Scroll to the bottom of your survey and click the ‘Add Items’ button
- Drag and Drop Text Box (Single) into the necessary place OR Click Text Box (Single) and then ADD TO PAGE
- Enter your question
- Navigate the Question Quick Menu for additional settings and customization
The number of rows in the text box will be set to one by default. This is changeable through the Question Quick Menu, but you could consider using the Comment Box/ Essay Box question type for questions that require longer responses.
There will be no input limitations set to your box when you insert this question type into your survey, but you can apply them through the ‘More’ section of the Question Quick Menu.
- Format the questions so they can be answered in a sentence or less.
- These question types are most useful for obtaining small amounts of information.
Question Quick Menu
Inside the Question Quick Menu for Text Box (Single) you will find several options:
- Undo: Reverse your previous action or measure.
- Redo: Once ‘Undo’ is clicked, the option transforms into the ‘Redo’ button. This will restore your previous action or measure.
- Delete: Permanently removes the question from the project.
- Shrink/ Expand: This will change the size of your selected item. It will be referred to as ‘Resize’ in the results section of any project.
- Move to Page: Select another page to move the question to.
- Copy: Duplicate your question inside of the project.
- Required: By checking this box, respondents cannot finish the survey without completing the question.
- Settings: Opens additional, question specific, features and settings.
Question Settings Menu
- Number this question: This button toggles the numbering for the concerned question.
- Textarea height (rows): Customize the size of the textbox, and therefore the amount of text a respondent can input.
- Input Limitation: Control what type of information participants can input. Toggle between ‘None’ (no Input Limitation), ‘Numeric’ (only numbers can be input), ‘Email’ (only email addresses can be input), and ‘Web Address’ (only URLs can be input).
How respondents interact with a Text Box (Single)?
Participants can enter a short amount of text into the box by clicking it and typing.
How to analyze the Quick Report?
All replies for Text Boxes (Single) will be listed under ‘Text Responses’ for the relevant question in your Quick Report. The most recent answers will be situated at the top of the list.
For more detailed instructions on analyzing your report, you can visit either of these articles: