Drop Down List
What are Drop Down Lists?
These question types are similar to the Multi-Choice (Single Select); where a list of options is provided for respondents to choose from, in relation to a question or statement.
However, instead of a list of answers directly beneath the question, the answers are hidden in an expandable drop-down box.
Why use Drop Down Lists?
These boxes are useful in concealing considerably longer lists of answer options. If your list of answer options is too long, the flow of your project will be affected. E.g. In a contact form, it may be necessary to obtain the location or address of a respondent and Drop Down Lists allow you to include a large list of places without overcrowding the page.
How do I create a Drop Down Lists?
- Go to the Builder
- Click ‘Add Page Items’ in the sidebar OR Scroll to the bottom of your survey and click the ‘Add Items’ button
- Drag and Drop the Drop Down List into the necessary place OR Click Drop Down List and then ADD TO PAGE
- Enter your question above the drop-down box
- Click the drop-down box to insert answer options
- Navigate the Question Quick Menu for additional settings and customization
Two answer boxes will be provided according to the default settings of this question type. Click ‘Add option’ to create additional answer boxes, or ‘“other” text’ to insert an ‘Other’ answer option.
When making a quiz, the answer options will all be assigned 0 points by default. You can assign points to answers by clicking the relevant option, then entering the settings for that option and entering a number into the ‘Points’ box.
- Where it is sometimes useful to randomize the order of your answers, if you’re providing a list of locations (or a similar list) you may want to format it alphabetically, or in some other logical order.
Question Quick Menu
Inside the Question Quick Menu for Drop-Down Lists you have several options:
- Undo: Reverse your previous action or measure.
- Redo: Once ‘Undo’ is clicked, the option transforms into the ‘Redo’ button. This will restore your previous action or measure.
- Delete: Permanently removes the question from the project.
- Shrink/ Expand: This will change the size of your selected item. It will be referred to as ‘Resize’ in the results section of any project.
- Move to Page: Select another page to move the question to.
- Copy: Duplicate your question inside of the project.
- Required: By checking this box, respondents cannot finish the survey without completing the question.
- Settings: Opens additional, question specific, features and settings.
Question Settings Menu
- Number this question: This button toggles the numbering for the concerned question.
- Randomize answer order: This allows you to randomize your list of possible answers for respondents.
How respondents interact with Drop Down Lists?
A blank box marked with an arrow will sit below your set question, which respondents can click to reveal the full list of answer options.
Whichever option their mouse hovers over will be highlighted, and their selected answer will then appear in the blank box below the question.
How to analyze the Quick Report?
Answer options will be displayed in their original order, from left to right, in the Data Table of your Quick Report. You will also receive stats on the standard deviation and the total number of responses for the question.
By default, your results will appear as a Doughnut Chart, with each answer being assigned a color within the chart. It is possible to change the chart formatting through the Question Quick Menu for this section. The other available options for this question type are Line Graph, Column Graph, Radar Chart, Pie Chart.
Any responses gathered through the ‘Other’ answer option will be recorded in the ‘Other’ section of the data table. If text was attached to any of those answers, each response will be recorded in the ‘Text Responses’ section under the graphs.
For more detailed instructions on analyzing your report you can visit either of these articles: